This position is responsible for supervising and maintaining the daily accounting operations including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and the general ledger at the Alaska SeaLife Center, including all related activities with regard to ASLC’s fiscal agent role with the North Pacific Research Board (NPRB) and the Alaska Ocean Observing System (AOOS).
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field and five years of experience in fiscal administration in a similar position with three years at a supervisory level is required, or the equivalent. Strong skills and experience in accounting, budgeting, financial analysis, advanced Microsoft Excel functions and computerized accounting systems is required. Experience with non-profit accounting, federal grant compliance, enterprise resource planning (ERP) accounting systems, Microsoft Dynamics SL (SOLOMON), FRx Reporting, and relational databases is preferred. CPA, MBA, or other master’s degree is a plus.
Must possess advanced skills in organization, customer service, attention to detail, and oral and written communication. Must have the ability to work with diverse individuals, present information to non-financial groups, work independently, set own priorities, manage competing deadlines, maintain confidentiality, and interact effectively with staff, senior management, and outside organizations. Must consistently produce high-quality work, exhibit strong time-management skills, require minimal supervision, and mentor/train other team members.
- Maintains, analyses, and reconciles the general ledger and subsidiary accounting records. Prepares journal entries. Completes all end-of-month posting and closing of the general ledger.
- Monitors all cash activity and cash reserve accounts to insure timely payments to employees, vendors, and collections from clients. Reviews weekly calculation of federal grant expenditures and automated drawdown of federal grant funds. Prepares documentation for monthly or quarterly grant invoicing. Assists in managing ticketing vendor contract information in Altru system.
- Prepares documentation for the annual financial statement and A-133 federal audits for ASLC/NPRB/AOOS. Prepares documentation for the ASLC annual Form 990 & 990-T tax returns, annual Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Proposal (NICRA), and annual worker’s compensation audit. Prepares and submits quarterly reporting for worker’s comp, borough sales taxes and city PILT.
- Assists department directors in preparing the annual ASLC operating and capital budgets and ad-hoc financial analyses. Supports development of annual operational budgets for ASLC activities funded by grants, contracts and other external funds.
- Prepares and submits fiscal reporting to federal, state, or other granting agencies to meet compliance and regulatory requirements. Applies federal grant compliance knowledge in performing daily activities.
- Maintains financial records pertaining to fixed asset acquisition, depreciation and disposal. Performs research for fixed asset disposals. Prepares documentation for fixed asset reporting to management, the City of Seward, and granting agencies.
- Uses interpersonal skills to coordinate projects requiring interactions with many internal parties. Uses financial analysis, critical thinking, and problem solving skills to analyze data and develop meaningful solutions to specific problems. Uses organizational skills to manage competing priorities. Uses independent judgment to make logical decisions.
- Supervises personnel matters with the accounting staff. Assigns and checks work, establishes schedules, sets deadlines and delegates authority. Sets performance standards for staff. Prepares annual performance evaluations. Makes personnel related recommendations to the Finance Director.
- Ensures all accounting staff are properly trained and equipped for their assigned tasks, and conducts or arranges for training as necessary to carry out the department’s objectives.
- Maintains official ASLC records in accordance with the current Records Retention Policy and Schedule.
This is a full-time position. ASLC offers a competitive wage (DOE) and benefits package.
Apply by: First review of applications 4/24/2017 Start Date: ASAP
Please include the following as a single PDF attachment to your online application; 1 page cover letter, resume and complete salary history.
For any questions regarding this position, including salary information please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. EO/AA Employer