Position requirements: 30 hours per week in husbandry/10 hours per week supporting front of house operation of ticketing and interpretation.
Fellow will learn about the diagnostics and instruments commonly used in a veterinary laboratory specializing in Alaskan marine mammals, birds and fish. Fellow will be exposed to the methods used to maintain a clean and efficient laboratory. Skills and procedures learned will include: blood analysis, urine and fecal analysis, fecal coliform water quality analysis, sample collection during animal exams or necropsy, and maintaining veterinary records and sample inventory. Under guidance of Laboratory staff, the Fellow will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
- Assist with set up and processing routine blood samples. Work with laboratory technicians to perform plasma/serum separations, prepare blood slides, and assist with performing serum chemistries and cell counts using an automated analyzer.
- Assist with maintaining laboratory and veterinary clinic cleanliness and routine maintenance of equipment.
- Assist with weekly water quality testing.
- Assist with maintaining sample inventory
- Assist with shipping samples to outside researchers
- Assist with maintaining medical and laboratory records and logs.
- Assist with organizing and inventorying consumable supplies for the laboratories.
- Assist with other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission statement as required
- Assist with husbandry and clinical care of patients as needed or cases present
- Assist at the ticketing counter or with Interpretation as assigned
Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas. Applicants must be comfortable working with database computer programs and sensitive equipment. Must be willing to work with frozen samples and in walk-in freezers and able to lift 50 pounds. Job duties will vary from day to day. Although tasks will be in direct support of animal welfare, there is very little direct contact with animals in this position.